Sunday, June 3, 2018

Canadian destinations

This post is not really specific to our trip but more about travel in general.  I have been thinking about traveling in Canada the last few days. Why?

1) Because it is really amazing - Canada is truly a beautiful and diverse country

2) Because I just read a book called 100 places in the US every woman should go (thank you to my thoughtful linemates from Sisu Warriors for the good bye gift) and I don't think one exists for Canada

3) Because you have a lot of time to think when you are hiking and biking with someone you are also living in a van with (there isn't a ton of discussion on the trails - except when we need to make noise to scare off the bears and cougars).

So where am I going with this and why aren't I telling you the details of what I have been doing lately rather than what I have been thinking? They need a "100 places every woman should go" for Canada.  In fact, I am looking for a job after this year is over and perhaps I could be paid to write it (granted I have a science degree and an OT degree and no experience with writing anything but reports on how someone's house is set up and whether they are independent with their self care, mobility and home management tasks). Okay so maybe I am not the right person for the job.

But who needs to write a book when I already have this blog with followers who just can't wait for the next post!  This post could be the list!

My next challenge though is that I could probably list some really beautiful areas areas I have been to but I think I would have a hard time with the historical places every woman should go.  (and even the beautiful places - what makes them specific for women to go to).

Anyway, I am starting a list and we will see if I can make it to 100.  Comments very welcome (and needed - this is harder than I thought).

(in no particular order - 10 places every woman should go in Canada
1. Gros Morne National Park (Newfoundland)
2. Waterton Lake National Park (Alberta)
3. Human Rights Museum (Winnipeg, MB)
4. Sleeping Giant Provincial Park (Thunder Bay, ON)
5. Tunnels of Moose Jaw (Moose Jaw, SK)
6. Pier 21 (Halifax, NS)
7. Haida Gwaii (British Columbia)
8. Chilkoot Trail (need to start in Skagway Alaska and then end in Bennett Lake, BC)
9. Hopewell Rocks (Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick)
10. Tunnel Island (Kenora, ON)

2 comments: