Friday, June 15, 2018

Stuff I miss

Stuff I miss

One month of living in a van and these are the things I miss already.

1. The obvious – my friends, my family, my cat, summer in Thunder Bay,  dog walks in familiar neighbourhoods (with familiar neighbours!), a garden, my own bathroom, local news, daily wifi, my own bathroom (I know, I know – I said that already)

2. The “things”:
- hangers – I miss hanging my clothes on hangers. We have a few hooks in the van but they are usually for dish clothes, tea towels and shower towels. Here is my current clothing organization system.



Thanks to Marie Kondo’s “the life changing magic of tidying up”, I started using shoe boxes about a year ago to organize underwear and socks and they have definitely helped in the van but it is still pretty chaotic.

- a vacuum – I have a little sweeper, some rags and a spray bottle and I pretty much clean at least once sometimes twice a day. The main “living” area of the van is linoleum with a rubber cover where our “walking path” is. The front of the van is typical carpet. Mike, Dawson, Maverick and myself are always in/out of the van so we are always tracking in dirt.  And Dawson and Mav are always shedding their coats. Dog hair is everywhere. I miss my vacuum.



- a microwave – I think what I miss is leftovers but a microwave is what I heat leftovers up in so I guess I miss the microwave. The lunch box could work but with limited storage space in the fridge (especially when the compost bag is full), there isn’t a lot of room for leftovers.  I really shouldn’t be complaining about missing leftovers though as Mike continues to cook dinner for me every night and the meals are quite delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Cheers to one month!!! You’re doing it!!!
    It’s definitely a transition!!
    Yay for Mike’s culinary skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have space for a dust buster in the van? It might solve your vacuuming issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We debated a small vacuum or a dustbuster but managed to just pull our dog covers and sweep daily. My tolerance for dirt definitely increased as the trip went on.

      Delete