Friday, June 22, 2018

Osoyoos to Vernon

Osoyoos to Vernon

After exploring Osoyoos we headed up the highway toward Summerland, Peachland and Penticton. We really liked Summeland! It had a quaint small town feel with some neat stores including an awesome bakery, a “witch” store (I think it was called The Black Cat) and a thrift store that was run by volunteers and benefited the local animal rescues. Peachland had a really neat waterfront area but it seemed a little tourist-trap-y for our liking so we just drove through. Penticton had a great park and beach area, which we took advantage of for an afternoon but the rest of the city seemed really busy so other than visiting a few bike shops we kept moving.

Speaking of bike shops… I decided shortly after riding around in Crowsnest Pass and Nelson That it was time for a new bike. My bike was a 2012 and there have been some pretty cool advancements in bike tech over the last 5 Years or so, so I started looking for a new ride. Kim says I went to at least 17 bike shops, and I’d say she is probably right. I test rode about 10 different bikes and checked out countless more. So for those who care about details: I ended up going a little crazy and got a great deal on a 2017 Devinci Marshall. It’s a 27.5+ (wheel is 27.5” in diameter and it has 3” wide tires) setup tubeless, 1x 11 XT drivetrain, dropper post (the seat post is hydraulically actuated to go up and down at the push of a button on the handlebar), carbon fibre frame with 110mm of rear travel and a RockShox Pike fork with 120mm of travel. It isn’t a burly, mega travel bike but it has slack enough geometry and enough travel to hold its own on the trails I ride. So far it’s been a fun ride!



Amd that was Kelowna, I pretty much just bought a bike there, shipped my old one home and we did laundry. :)

We toured up the west side of Okanogan Lake and headed towards Vernon. We stopped at Bear Creek Provincial Park and did a canyon bike. We spent a bit of time running the new bike through it paces at Ellison Provincial Park just south of Vernon. We thought we’d spend more time in Vernon but sometimes you just aren’t feeling it and you keep moving on.





2 comments:

  1. Mike I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - you should be a professional shopper!!!

    ReplyDelete